Nike Golf unveils premium 20XI ball
Nike Golf is unveiling its new 20XI premium golf ball franchise, featuring innovative golf ball technology that will dramatically enhance the performance of golfers around the world and, at the same time, propel golf ball manufacturing into an entirely new level of innovation.
The new Nike 20XI ball features a combination of proprietary technology never before seen in the golf industry, and is the result of four years of collaborative research and development between Nike Golf’s golf ball engineers and a team of material and science experts at DuPont.Nike Golf 20XI-S and 20XI-X
The game-changing technology replaces conventional rubber cores with a radical new resin material. Resin is a highly neutralised polymer that’s faster and lighter material engineered to produce longer distance and more controlled shots.
Ishii and his team of engineers discovered that using resin core technology accomplishes three critical performance components that golfers dream to have in a golf ball: More distance off the tee; Straight ball flight; Increased control around the greens.
Oven Tech: 20XI Player Perspective
Faster Ball Speed Equals More Distance
- Advancement in proprietary resin core chemistry delivers faster ball speed.
- Internal tests with Nike Golf tour athletes have shown an average of 2-3 mph increase in ball speed.
- Every 1 mph increase equates to 2-3 yards carry distance.
Longer, Straighter Ball Flight
- Lighter core and heavier outer layers result in perimeter weighting.
- High MOI assists in reducing driver spin and maintains spin beyond apex to maintain carry and control.
- After apex, the higher MOI assists in maintaining spin an average of 100-200 RPM.
- 20XI has the highest levels of MOI in a golf ball to date.
More Distance Off the Tee and Control Around the Green
- Less spin off the driver, more off the wedge.
- Overall design and MOI assist in reducing driver spin at impact on average of 100 – 200 RPM over prior Nike ball technology.
- Softer cover materials allow for greater short iron spin and control.
To date, the following Nike athletes have made the switch to the new Nike 20XI: Stephen Ames, Stewart Cink, Richard Finch, Lucas Glover, Matt Haines, Anthony Kim, Kevin Kisner, Justin Leonard, Jamie Lovemark, Pablo Martin, Francesco Molinari, James Morrison and Carl Pettersson.
The Nike 20XI franchise will launch two versions of the ball, the 20XI-X (tour-level distance) and 20XI-S (tour-level spin). While both balls deliver on faster speed, higher MOI and steeper spin slope, the 20XI-X is optimised to reduce excess driver spin to maximise distance. The 20XI-S incorporates a softer cover for enhanced greenside spin and control. Both 20XI balls will be available April 29, 2011 in North America.
In addition to developing a first-of-its kind golf ball, Nike Golf’s new technology has led to a reduction in manufacturing steps and allows for a 54% improvement in production consistency for resin core vs. rubber core.
- Availability: April 29, 2011
- MSRP: US$58.00
- Street Price: US$45.99