McIlroy named European Tour Golfer Of The Year
The European Tour righted the injustice of two days ago in naming Rory McIlroy – 2014 Race to Dubai European Tour Golfer of the Year.
McIlroy’s award, after being glaringly denied BBC Sports Personality of the Year, is further recognition of his talents and in a season when he captured two Majors, a first WGC title and the European Tour’s flagship BMW PGA Championship.
Rory McIlroy (Credit: Anthony Powter)
McIlroy’s list of awards in 2014 already include:
- No. 1 ranked European Golfer of the Year
- PGA of America ‘Golfer of the Year’
- PGA Tour ‘Golfer of the Year’
- Association of Golf Writers (AGW) ‘Golfer of the Year’
- RTE TV (Ireland) ‘Sports Personality of the Year’
- BBC Northern Ireland ‘Sports Personality of the Year’
- Sports Journalists Association (SJA) ‘Sportsman of the Year’
- Harry Vardon Trophy
- Rye Memorial Medal
- Tooting Bec Cup
- James Braid Memorial Medal
Awards almost certain to head McIlroy’s way for his efforts in 2014 include:-
- Irish Golf Writers Association ‘Player of the Year’
- Association of American Golf Writers (AGWA) ‘Golfer of the Year’
- European Tour ‘Honorary Life Membership’
- Presentation by Queen Elizabeth II of an Order of the British Empire (OBE). McIlroy is presently the holder of an MBE
In being named European Tour ‘Golfer of the Year’ McIlroy remarked: “To be named the European Tour’s Golfer of the Year for a second time is a huge honour and one I am extremely proud of. If I had won any one of those four titles it would have been a good year, but to win all four, to win The Race to Dubai, and to be part of another fantastic European victory in The Ryder Cup, means it is a great one.
“This award is a very nice way to round off the year. The European Tour has always been good to me, so it is always special to be recognised in this way. Hopefully I can have more years like this one and win the award again.”