Determined Scott confirms Australian Open return

Paramus, New Jersey: Adam Scott confirmed he will contest the Australian Open in November but with a chip on his shoulder after letting slip victory to Rory McIlroy last year in Sydney.

Scott as then reigning Masters champion teed-up on the Royal Sydney course last December having captured the Australian PGA and Australian Masters titles, and was looking to become only the second player behind fellow Australian Robert Allenby to capture the ‘Big Three’ in Australian golf.

Adam Scott Adam Scott (Credit: Anthony Powter)

Scott contested the final round alongside McIlroy and was a shot clear coming up the last hole when he sent his second shot horribly over the back of the green.

McIlroy found the putting surface in regulation but with Scott shocking an overwhelming patriotic home crowd by then taking three shots to get down for a bogey ahead of McIlroy holing out for a birdie to shock Scott in capturing by a stroke his first and only victory of 2013.

And while McIlroy has confirmed a decision to defend his title at the Australian Club from November 27th to 30th, the current world number two ranked Scott indicated he will now also tee up on the Jack Nicklaus redesigned course.

“I finished such an amazing month on such a disappointing note, and the result just gutted me for weeks in not winning the Australian Open,” said Scott ahead of his defence of this week’s Barclays Championship in New Jersey.

“So I will be going back there with a chip on my shoulder.

“I don’t often get upset but I was really mad at myself because I was absolutely guttered in not being able to win last year.

“So I will be playing at The Australian Club with real intent to make amends for what happened at Royal Sydney.”

And while it’s clearly evident the result still affects Scott, he was praiseworthy of McIlroy’s decision to defend the title, and in doing so seek to become just the third non-Australian born player along with Nicklaus and Gary Player to successfully defend the Stonehaven Trophy.

“It’s great that Rory has decided to return to defend his title and all credit to him because after the season he’s had this year it will be huge for golf in Australia he’s decided to return,” said Scott.

“You have got to appreciate the fact he’s going to make the effort to return to Sydney because you really should always try to defend tournaments you win.”

“Sometimes it is very difficult for the overseas born players and he could easily be at home in Northern Ireland getting ready for Christmas after his gang-busting season but instead he’s going to travel back down to Sydney.”

“So Rory’s doing Aussie golf a huge favour and it’s great the hottest guy in golf is going to come back down to Sydney and it’s good Australian golf is attracting that talent as it will be two years in a row were going to have one of the best players there is.”

And while Scott looks to win for a second time in 2014 by successfully defending his Barclays Championship this week in Paramus, New Jersey the Australian continued his praise of McIlroy who is seeking to win a fourth straight tournament.

“In the week before The Open it was the Friday curse and Rory’s cursed and since then he’s been blessed,” said Scott.

“Rory’s had a whole career in four weeks. That’s a Hall of Fame career in four weeks out here. That’s amazing golf.”