Last chance for 630 players vying for US Open places
(Dublin, Ohio:) It will be a case of “Last Chance Saloon” for 630 golfers, including a dozen Australians, teeing it up at 10 venues stretching the length and breadth of the country on Monday US time vying for a place in next week’s US Open.
A total of 65 spots are up for grabs at the year’s second Major at Erin Hills in suburban Milwaukee.
Cameron Smith waves to the crowd during the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay (Credit: USGA/Michael Cohen)
Heading the Australians will be the ultra-talented Cameron Smith, who claimed his maiden PGA Tour victory alongside Swede Jonas Blixt at the Zurich Classic.
Smith is among five competing at one of the biggest attendances and that is on two courses in the Columbus, Ohio area just down the road from Muirfield Village – the venue for last week’s Memorial Tournament.
However, spare a thought for Brett Coletta, who will be making the dash from nearby Columbus Airport for a flight to Tacoma, Washington after his final round on Sunday, where he has to tee off the next morning at Tacoma Golf & Country Club at 7.30am.
The following is a full list of the 10 venues and those Australians teeing up.
Big Canyon C.C./Newport Beach C.C. Newport Beach, Calif.
- 103 Starters for 5 spots. No Australians in the field.
Jupiter Hills Club Tequesta, Fla.
- 49 Starters including Robert Allenby for 3 spots. Allenby has competed in 14 US Open’s with his best finish a T7 in 2004. He last played in 2014 where he missed the cut.
Hawks Ridge Golf Club, Ball Ground, Ga.
- 36 Starters including Rhein Gibson for 2 spots. The 31-year old from Lismore has never contested a US Open.
Woodmont Country Club, Rockville, Md.
- 50 Starters including Aron Price for 3 spots. The 35-year old from Sydney last year competed on the Web.com Tour but has never contested a Major.
Canoe Brook Country Club, Summit, N.J.
- 80 Starters for 5 spots. No Australians.
Brookside Golf & C.C./The Lakes Golf & C.C. Columbus, Ohio
- 120 Starters including 5 Australians for some 12 spots.
- Ashley Hall, 33 from Melbourne. Has not contested a US Open.
- Matthew Goggin, 42 from Tasmania. Contested four US Open’s with best finish T21 in last showing in 2013.
- Rod Pampling, 47 from Brisbane. Contested eight US Open’s with best finish T14 (2008).
- Cameron Smith, 23 from Brisbane. Finishing a superb T4 on debut in 2015 and T59 a year ago. Won Zurich Classic with Swede Jonas Blixt earlier this year.
- Curtis Luck, 20 from Perth. Won last year’s US Amateur but forfeited Erin Hills tee time in turning pro.
Springfield Country Club, Springfield, Ohio
- 77 Starters for 4 spots. No Australians competing.
Germantown C.C./Ridgeway C.C. Memphis, Tenn.
- 108 Starters including two Australians with the likelihood of 12 spots.
- Stuart Appleyby, 46 from Cohuna, Victoria. Contested 14 US Open’s from 1997 to 2010 with best finish T10 in 1998.
- Matt Jones, 34 from Sydney. Contested just two US Open’s including WD in 2009 and MC in 2014.
Lakewood Country Club, Dallas, Texas
- 58 Starters for 3 spots. No Australians.
Tacoma Country & Golf Club, Tacoma, Washington
- 70 Starters including two Australians for 4 spots.
- Brett Coletta, 20 from Melbourne. Has yet to contest a Major.
- Lucas Herbert, 21 from Melbourne. Has yet to contest a Major.