Monty ends six-year victory drought
Six years and 55 days after his last professional victory, Colin Montgomerie returned to the winner’s circle with a magnificent six shot triumph at the Travis Perkins plc Senior Masters.
The Scot tamed the Duke’s Course at Woburn Golf Club with a two under par 70 on Sunday for a 10-under par 206, for a cheque of €52,299 and a first title in just his third start on the European Senior Tour since turning 50 in June.
Monty’s brilliance relegated Spain’s Miguel Angel Martin to a distant runner-up alongside England’s Paul Wesselingh, who surged up the leaderboard with a best-of-the-week 66, on four under par.
Monty’s ascent to the Senior Tour had been much-anticipated after a prolific career on The European Tour which yielded 31 titles and a record eight Order of Merits, and he has not taken long to rediscover the form that saw him dominate European golf during the 1990s and early 2000s.
“It feels great,” said an elated Montgomerie. “Anybody with any competitive blood in them knows that it is nice to win, to come out on top.”
It is Monty’s first professional win since the 2007 European Open at the K Club and sees him become the third rookie in a row to win in 2013 after Denmark’s Steen Tinning captured the Berenberg Masters and Spaniard Santiago Luna returned victorious at the SSE Scottish Senior Open two weeks ago.
“I’ve said it before but it is like a new lease of life turning 50 in golf,” he continued. “I can’t think of any other sports where you take a new step on in your career at such an age and to have such a fine Tour, such an excellent brand, as the Senior Tour as part of that is brilliant so all credit to them for that.”
Mike Harwood finished as the leading Australian in a tie for 24th on 4-over followed by Peter Fowler at 7-over and T38.