Norman calls for cohesion in Australian golf
Work together or face the consequences.
That was the sage advice of former long-running world No 1 Greg Norman when the subject of the summer of golf in Australia came up and it was mentioned that it lacked star power this year with few of the world’s best players heading Down Under.
Greg Norman (Credit: Anthony Powter)
Norman, who supported the Australasian Tour for so many years in the 80s and 90s explained that he felt the struggling Australian summer of golf wouldn’t consistently attract the world’s best players until the sport’s governing bodies stopped competing with each other in this country.
Norman criticised the disjointed ownership among Australia’s premier golf tournaments, which included the PGA of Australia running the Australian PGA Championship and Golf Australia organising the Australian Open.
It was pointed out that in previous years, the governing bodies had been accused of pitting their events against one another and trying to attract stars exclusively.
Norman says competition between stakeholders was not helping:
“It’s always been this fight; a fight with the (now defunct) Australian Masters, with the Australian Open, with the Australian PGA Championship [and] with the (defunct) Holden Classic,” said the man known as the Great White Shark.
“A collaborative effort (was attempted) for years but they could never do it; I don’t know why.”
“I was in the middle of it for 25 or 30 years, and it’s crazy that it still continues.”
Golf Australia are still to deliver on their July promise that the Open in Sydney would boast two world top-10 players in the line-up.
At this stage the only marquee signings for the Australian Open is Matt Kuchar, who will also play at the World Cup alongside teammate Kyle Stanley, and Brandt Snedeker.
For the first time since 2008 neither of Australian golf two major drawcards, former major winners Jason Day and Adam Scott will be present at the November 15-18 event.