OneAsia Tour unveils 2015 schedule
The OneAsia schedule in 2015 will feature at least 10 events boasting overall prize money of nearly US$12 million and a strong line up of tournaments across the Asia-Pacific region.
The multi-million dollar circuit, which is now in its seventh year of excellence, sees two Final Stage Qualifying Schools take place in January and February in the United States and Malaysia respectively, before the first event of the year, the Volvo China Open tees off from April 23 to 26.
Jordan Spieth won the OneAsia co-sanctioned Australian Open late last year (Credit: Anthony Powter)
China’s national Open is the perfect curtain raiser for the season as it offers prize money of RMB20,000,000 (approx US$3.23 million) and is jointly sanctioned with the European Tour.
Korea’s top three golf tournaments the GS Caltex Maekyung Open (May 14 – 17), the Kolon Korea Open (September 10 – 13), and the SK Telecom Open (date tbc) will once again help form a strong back bone to the schedule.
Mid-way through the year OneAsia will also take a popular swing through Southeast Asia for the Thailand Open (June 11 – 14) and the Indonesia PGA Championship (July 30 – August 2). Both events will be jointly-sanctioned with the Japan Golf Tour Organisation (JGTO).
The Nanshan China Masters (September 24 -27), which since its launch in 2011 is quickly becoming one of the most prestigious events on the mainland, returns to the calendar as does the Fiji International (October 15 – 18), which was inaugurated with great success last year.
As per last year the season will culminate Down Under with the Emirates Australian Open (November 26 – 29) and the Australian PGA Championship, the dates for which will be confirmed later.
The Dongfeng Nissan Cup, a Ryder Cup-style match between China and Asia Pacific, will also help bring the year to an exciting conclusion.
“OneAsia will once again offer a multi-million dollar circuit featuring many of the most prestigious events in our region,” said OneAsia Commissioner and Chairman Sang Y. Chun.
“We are also working hard to add more events to OneAsia for this season and the years ahead. We currently boast a solid schedule that has huge potential to accomplish our mission of creating a Tour that will allow players from Asia-Pacific to go on to become world beaters.”
This year players will attempt to match Kim Seung-hyuk’s majestic 2014 when he claimed the OneAsia Order of Merit title with earnings of US$501,990.
He marched to victory in two events on home soil, the SK Telecom Open in May and the Kolon Korea Open in October.
OneAsia was founded in 2009 by the China Golf Association, the Korea Golf Tour, the Korea Golf Association and the PGA of Australia and is the first ever circuit in the region that covers the whole of the Asia-Pacific rim.
2015 OneAsia Schedule
- January 27 – 30: Qualifying School California, Final Stage, Industry Hills Golf Club, California
- February 10 – 13: Qualifying School Kuala Lumpur, Final Stage, Templer Park CC, Kuala Lumpur
- April 9 – 12: The Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Georgia
- April 23 – 26: Volvo China Open, Tomson Shanghai Pudong Golf Club, Shanghai, RMB 20,000,000 (Approx US$3.23 million)
- May 14 – 17: GS Caltex Maekyung Open Golf Championship, Namseoul Country Club, US$ 1 million
- June 11 – 14: Thailand Open, Venue TBA, US$1 million
- June 18 – 21: US Open, Chambers Bay, US$9 million
- July 16 – 19: The Open Golf Championship, St. Andrews Links, Fife
- July 30 – August 2: Indonesia PGA Championship, Venue TBA, US$1 million
- August 13 – 16 : US PGA Championship, Whistling Straits, Wisconsin, US$10 million
- September 10 – 13: Kolon Korea Open, Woo Jeong Hills Country Club, US$1 million
- September 24 – 27: Nanshan China Masters, Nanshan International GC, Nanshan, US$ 1 million
- October 15 – 18: Fiji International, Natadola Bay GC, Fiji AUS$1 million (approx US$808,900)
- November 26 – 29: Emirates Australian Open, The Australian Golf Club, Sydney, A$1.25 million (approx US$1,011,400)
- Date TBC: SK Telecom Open, Venue TBC, US$1 million
- Date TBC: Dongfeng Nissan Cup, Foisan Golf Club, Guangzhou
- Date TBC: Australian PGA Championship, RACV Royal Pines Resort, Gold Coast, Venue TBC (A$1 million in 2014)