Trump dumped as PGA Tour pull plug on Grand Slam
He may be running for US President but Donald Trump will have nothing to do with the running of the Grand Slam of Golf this year.
The annual four-man event for golf’s four major championship winners (or the closest thing) has been moved from Trump’s marvellous Los Angeles layout, Trump National, as the PGA of America flexes its’ own muscles.
Donald Trump (Credit: www.golffile.ie)
There are suggestions the move followed Trump’s controversial comments on Mexican immigrants.
Following a meeting between Trump and the PGA last week it was “mutually agreed” not to hold the Grand Slam of Golf at his Los Angeles course at the proposed October 19-21 date.
Trump himself explained that because of the backlash over his comments he did not want the PGA of America to deal with any consequences.
“I have great respect for the PGA of America and everything they stand for,” said Trump in a prepared statement.
The 36-hole exhibition had been moved around several venues over the years and Jordan Spieth already has qualified by winning the Masters and U.S. Open. Martin Kaymer will be the alternate as the defending champion.
The PGA said it was exploring options on where to move the Grand Slam, along with its annual PGA Junior League Golf Championship that also was to be held at Trump National Los Angeles.
The Grand Slam was in Bermuda from 2007 until last year.