What’s In The Bag: Rory McIlroy US Open
In winning the 111th United States Open Championship, Titleist Brand Ambassador Rory McIlroy registered one of the all-time dominating performances in major tournament history, trusting a Titleist Pro V1x golf ball and a bag full of Titleist equipment to a historic eight-shot victory and his first major championship.
Over the four rounds at Congressional Country Club, McIlroy set or tied 12 tournament records, posting rounds of 65-66-68-69 to finish at 16-under (268), a red number that U.S. Open scoreboards had never previously displayed.
What’s in Rory McIlroy’s Titleist Bag
- Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
- Driver: Titleist 910D2 8.5º, C2 SureFit Tour hosel setting (Fujikura Rombax 7V05)
- 3-wood: Titleist 906F2 13º (Fujikura Pro95)
- 5-wood: Titleist 906F2 18º (Fujikura Pro95)
- Irons: Titleist MB 3-9 (Project X Steel)
- Wedges: Vokey Design Spin Milled 248 10º (bent to 46º), SM54 10º, 60Lº (Project X Steel)
- Putter: Scotty Cameron GSS prototype
For the record, they had never shown 13, 14 or 15 under, either. McIlroy also got to 17-under at one point.
At 22 years, 1 month and 5 days, McIlroy became the youngest U.S. Open champion since Bobby Jones won the 1923 U.S. Open at 21 years, 3 months and 28 days.
Among his scoring records are:
- Fastest to double-digits under par (26 holes);
- Largest 36-hole lead (T-6);
- Low first-36 holes (131);
- Most strokes under par for 36 holes (-11);
- Low first-54 holes (199);
- Most strokes under par for 54 holes (-14);
- Low 72-hole total (268); and
- Most strokes under par for 72 holes (-16).
Relying on Titleist from tee-to-green, McIlroy hit 62 of 72 of greens in regulation (86 percent), using his Titleist 910D3 driver, Titleist MB irons and Vokey Design Spin Milled wedges to author a legendary tale of precision and tap-in birdies.
He averaged 1.65 putts per green, putting with a Scotty Cameron Newport GSS Prototype in a chromatic bronze finish that may as well have been gold. McIlroy rolled his Pro V1x golf ball in for 19 birdies, one eagle and 48 pars.
He made just two bogeys and one double-bogey in 72 holes.