Woods tips in for his own tournament
You can say what you like about world number one Tiger Woods, but you can’t question his generosity.
Woods has shelled out a reported $4 million of his own money to ensure the World Challenge, that he has hosted every year since 1999, goes ahead.
Tiger Woods (Credit: Anthony Powter)
There were suggestions the event might be in doubt because it lacked a full title sponsor.
Yet Woods wouldn’t hear of it and has “chipped in” to ensure all operating costs for the World Challenge are covered.
President of the Tiger Woods Foundation Greg McLaughlin said there was never any doubt the event would go ahead.
“The question was whether we could get the necessary corporate support,” he said.
“We’re happy that we now have a lot of support for the event that we’ve been able to generate over the last few months.”
The event is scheduled to be played from December 5-8 at a former home of Greg Norman’s Shark Shootout, the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, where the World Challenge has been played since 2001.
Former US Open champion Graeme McDowell is expected to return to defend his title.
Even without a title sponsor last year, the World Challenge saw McDowell walk away with a cool $1m for his win while the last place in the 18-man field earned $120,000 for his week’s worth.
“’This is our 15th year, and this event is important to Tiger,” said McLaughlin.
“For our foundation, it’s the first event we ever did. It would be hard to ever imagine not doing it.”
“I’ve had so many people – players, media – stop me throughout the year and say, ‘Are you doing the event again’?”
And the answer now is “definitely”.